Rest of Europe • Links:
- Ale's Stones
- Info on one of Sweden's best preserved ship-shaped stone circles.
- Interesting website devoted to a selection of megalithic monuments of Germany. Clear and easy to use presentation, extensive information, many photographs. In German.
- Ales Stenar
- Detailed info on Sweden's most famous "stone ship" consisting of of 58 standing stones and one horizontal block. The site measures 67 metres long by 19 metres across. Information for tourists and travelers by Ystad Tourist Council.
- Webpage dedicated to one of the most interesting ancient sites in Sweden. Well preserved stone ships, a burial mound and a rune stone.
- Central Archaeological Inventory of Flanders (Belgium)
- Public website of the Central Archaeological Inventory of Flanders (Belgium). Discovery tour through history with interactive maps, specific archaeological sites and illustrations for each period in time. In Flemish.
- Cup-marked Stones in Estonia
- Extremely detailed description of a series of stones with cup martkings found in Estonia. Many drwaings and four images, by Andres Tvauri.
- Dolmen Web
- Information and some photos of selected megalithic monuments on the Netherlands and the German federal country of Schleswig-Holstein (currently only in German).
- Dolmens in the Netherlands
- Extensive Dutch passage-graves (hunebedden) and dolmens guide, with many photographs and an active map. Full reports both in English and Dutch of all existing 54 hunebedden in Holland. By Hans Meijer.
- Faustus Stonepages
- Website devoted to the most famous European stone circles, along with a couple of poems and many photos of Stonehenge. In German.
- Finnish Rock Paintings
- The finnish rock paintings are made from 6,000 to 3,000 years ago in vertical rock surfaces. These pages introduce some of the over 70 rock painting sites in Finland. Good presentation with maps, descriptions and striking images. In English and Finnish.
- Großsteingräber in Niedersachsen
- Megalithic monuments on the northwest Lower Saxony (Germany). Simple but elegant presentation, extensive information, very good quality photos, plans and some panoramic 360-degree movies. In German.
- Heilige Staetten der Heiden und Ketzer
- The author takes a personal interest in prehistorical and ancient topics, as he's doing some research on his pre-Christian ancestors, and of so-called heretics. Beautiful photos of dolmens. In German.
- Holed stones and crawling through rituals
- This page deals with the holed stones in Europe. Including sites and rituals from Germany, Austria, Great Britain, Ireland and other areas. Photos, info, motivations/effects and suggestions for further reading.
- Images of Malta
- Images of the Maltese megalithic temples of Hagar Qim, Mnajdra, and Tarxien, by Andrew Slayman
- Ismo Luukkonen photography
- Pictures on Finnish rock paintings, Swedish megaliths, Scandinavian rock carvings, prehistoric places in South-West Finland, Ireland and Portugal. Extensive hi-quality photo collection with maps and bibliography.
- Malta Homepage
- A site describing the archaeological heritage of the Maltese Islands and the Grupp Arkeologiku Malti. Many photos and in-depth info about the island's prehistory and dolmens.
- Megalithic Temples of Malta
- The best website devoted to the megalithic temples of Malta. Extensive information, beautiful photographs, very detailed maps, pronunciation audio exemples, panoramic movies, news and an excellent section on ancient sculptures. Highly recommended.
- Megalithic Temples of Malta
- An introduction to the Mediterranean's earliest civilization and the physical evidence which still stands: Mother Earth's oldest existing stone architecture.
- Megalithic tomb at Roussa
- Photo and description of a megalithic dolmen built of five large stone slabs, near Roussa (Greece).
- The Institut für Prähistorische Archäologie of the Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg made an excursion with students in 1998, visiting megalithic sites in Central and Norhern Germany, Sweden and Denmark. On this website are descriptions, good b/w and colour photos, personal notes and extensive bilbiography. In German and English.
- Very interesting pages about megaliths of Slovakia. Extensive and detailed list of 23 sites, some photos. In Slovak.
- Monumental Past
- An extensive and fascinating site that traces the life-histories of a series of megalithic monuments in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Germany). Database, glossary, maps, photos and descriptions. Available also as a CD-ROM.
- Mysterious Malta
- Several images of megalithic temples and ancient artifacts found in Malta. Somewhat intricate presentation, but interesting photos.
- Norwegian Rock Art
- On this webpage you can find extensive information and several large pictures of ancient Norwegian rock carvings.
- On the rocks
- Photos, information and theories on Bronze Age Rock Art ( rock carvings ) from Scandinavia - mainly from loctions in Bohuslän in Sweden and Østfold in Norway.
- Prehistoric Archaeology of the Aegean
- This site contains information about the prehistoric archaeology of the Aegean. Through a series of 29 lessons and several illustrations, it traces the cultural evolution of humanity in the Aegean basin from the Palaeolithic-Mesolithic to the age of the cultures of Minoan Crete and and Mycenaean Greece.
- Prehistoric Temples of Malta
- The prehistoric temples of Malta are unique in the world. They are the oldest standing stone structures which remain to us from ancient times. Photo tours of four of the main Maltese sites, with plans and photographs.
- Prehistory in Wallonia
- Interesting website devoted to the prehistory of Wallonia (Belgium). Information, photos and short descriptions of many sites, including the famous dolmens and standing stones aligned near Wéris.
- Préhistoire au Luxembourg
- Detailed info on Prehistory in Luxembourg, from the Mesolithic to the Neolithic. Nice presentation (mainly text), list of scientific papers, and bilbiography.
- Rock paintings in Finland
- More than 60 ancient rock paintings have been found in Finland. Together they include about 450 pictures of different kinds. The pictures are usually painted on vertical smooth cliffs along ancient water routes. On this website is a list of those sites, with brief descriptions, a picture gallery and several articles.
- Info and beautiful photos of the megaliths in the province of Västra Götaland, in western Sweden. Also a lot of rune stones from the time of the vikings and rock carvings.
- Sacred spots of Latvia
- Information about Latvia ancient sacred sites, with photos and maps. In Latvian.
- Slavic Heaven
- Polish Pomeranian stone circles with hi-res photos but no descriptions nor maps; info on pagan Slavic belief.
- Weris: Capitale Belge des Mégalithes
- Standing stones and dolmens from the Weris area (Belgium), very rich in prehistoric remains. Many photos and in-depth descriptions, access to the area, publications. In French.