Home

ARCHIVES
(5866 articles):
 

EDITORIAL TEAM:
 
Clive Price-Jones 
Diego Meozzi 
Paola Arosio 
Philip Hansen 
Wolf Thandoy 


If you think our news service is a valuable resource, please consider a donation. Select your currency and click the PayPal button:



Main Index
Podcast


Archaeo News 

15 July 2005
Timber circle discovered in Russia

In 2003, Russian Archaeologist Ilya Akhmedov made an amazing discovery: near the ancient village site of Spasskaya Luka, in the settlement of Staraya Ryazan he found an ancient wooden structure.
     Astonishing as this was, similar discoveries began popping up all over Eurasia within the next two years, not by amatures, but by researchers. These ancient observatories all shared one common principle: that on the day of the Summer or Winter Solstice, the sun's rays would focus on one specific spot of the Megalith's stone or wood. And just as astonishing, none of these researchers has ever made any attempt to compare the common principles these observatories, so the similarities in structure and mathmatical equation is unknown to us at this time.
     The Sanctuary near Staraya Ryazan is situated on the highest hill in the junction of the Oka and Pronya Rivers. This is an area with a great many cultures represented, from the Paleolithic to the Middle Ages.
     The construction of the so called 'Russian Stonehenge' is a circle of seven meters in diameter henged in with wooden columns, each is half a meter thick, and at the same distance from each other. There is a large rectangular hole in the center of the circle and a pole. The wooden columns have long since been distroyed by the elements, but one can clearly see where they once stood. Now, within the circle, two pairs of poles form a 'gate' where one can observe the Sunset in summer. There is another pole outside the circle thats points to  the Sunrise.
     Also discovered at the site was a small ceramic vessel decorated with zig zag lines representing the Sun's ray's and wavy lines representing water. The vessel is from the Bronze Age.
     Slavic Tribes came to the Junctions of the Rivers in the 10th & 11th Centuries, and established the city of Ryazan around 1096. But the city was burnt to the ground by Mongol invaders in 1237, and was never completely rebuilt.
     It is not clear how long the Pagan Temple at Spasskaya Luka stood. And unfortunately archeological digging will no longer be allowed in Staraya Ryazan this year. It seems as if a recreational center is planned for that site and will soon be built, all in the name of progress.

Source: Pravda (6 July 2005)

Share this webpage:


Copyright Statement
Publishing system powered by Movable Type 2.63

HOMESHOPTOURSPREHISTORAMAFORUMSGLOSSARYMEGALINKSFEEDBACKFAQABOUT US TOP OF PAGE ^^^