|21 March 2009
Reprint of Xewkija temple report
A limited facsimile edition of Fr Emmanuel Magri's, 'Ruins of a Megalithic Temple at Xeuchia, First Report', is being published by the Salesians of Don Bosco and Heritage Malta as part of the initiative to produce cultural publications of general interest about Malta's heritage and culture. The document is edited by Fr Charles Cini SDB, with photography and design by Daniel Cilia, and historical introduction and notes by Josef Mario Briffa SJ.
Originally published in 1906, the report describes the excavations undertaken of a megalithic temple in Xewkija, under Fr Magri's direction, in October 1904. Fr Magri was an archaeologist, and first director of the excavation of the Hypogeum. This report witnesses to Fr Magri's scholarship, his use of local traditions and his pioneering work on the study and classification of potsherds.
The present edition includes the original watercolour plates of the sherds, being published in colour for the first time, after more than 100 years. Details of the watercolours and photos of the actual sherds are included for comparison. The publication is further enriched with archival material relating to the same excavation.
Source: Times of Malta (20 March 2009)
Share this webpage: