|14 October 2015
Northumberland stone circle wind turbine refused
A proposal by a Scottish company to build a 74 metre wind turbine less than 3 kilometres from a 4,000-year-old stone circle has been rejected, following a 3 year process which included objections from the county's archaeologist.
Known as The Women, the Singing Stones, and Duddo Five Stones, the monument, composed of deeply weathered soft sandstone, dates to the Neolithic or early Bronze Age. It was known as the Four Stones until 1903, when the fifth stone was re-erected. There were originally seven stones. Two empty sockets were found on the western side during excavation in the 1890s.
The site stands in the northeast corner of England, approximately 6 kilometres south of the Scottish border. It offers panoramic views of the Cheviot Hills to the South and the Lammermuir Hills to the north, and is visited by between 6,000 and 9,000 people each year.
Edited from Chronicle Live (4 October 2015), and Wikipedia
Share this webpage: