November 1998 index:
25 November 1998
- 4,000 year old street found in Lebanon
- We've found a street with mudbrick houses dating back to 2000BCE and 2500BC, said archaeologist Jean Paul Thalmann, who heads the excavations at Tal Arqa, a 40-metre-high hill 25km north...
- Iron Age stately home rises again
- As part of a research programme to discover how Iron Age architects built their largest buildings, archaeologists in south-west Wales are recreating a 45ft wide (13.7m) roundhouse on the exact...
- Future Improvements at Stonehenge
- Great Britain's Culture Secretary Chris Smith spelled out his vision for a more dignified future for Stonehenge, with the traffic removed and new visitor facilities located outside the World Heritage...
- Relics looted and recovered from prehistoric cave in France
- A Neolithic tomb in southern France has been looted only days after its discovery. Several artifacts are believed to have been stolen from the tomb, which is described by experts...
- Early Metal Use Found in Peru
- Ancient residents of the Andes Mountains produced delicate gold and copper foils, 1,000 years earlier than archaeologists had previously thought they learned to work metal. Burger and Yale geologist Robert...
- Expedition to study ancient Saharan giraffe rock carvings
- Archaeologists are planning an expedition to the Sahara desert to study one of the most extraordinary prehistoric works of art yet discovered: a group of giraffes carved on rock. The...