June 1999 index:
10 June 1999
- The future of Miami Circle
- The preservation of the Miami Circle, the enigmatic stone formation that harkens back to the Tequesta Indians, got a major boost Tuesday when Gov. Jeb Bush and the Florida Cabinet...
- Saving a Scottish stone ring
- Balgarthno stone circle, a little-known site a few miles to the west of Dundee (Scotland) is under threat of having an Asda superstore built on top of it. This is...
- Mexican archaeologists fight developers
- With a real estate development in the works, archaeologists are fighting for a chance to study a site they say could provide clues to the fate of an ancient culture...
- Earliest known writing found in Pakistan
- The first known examples of writing may have been unearthed at an archaeological dig in Pakistan, at a site called Harappa in the region where the great Harappan or Indus...
- Ancient tombs unearthed in Shaanxi (China)
- Seventeen tombs dating back to the Xia and Shang dynasties (2,100 BCE- 1,100 BCE) have been unearthed at Donglongshan, in Shangzhou City of northwest China's Shaanxi Province. Archeologists say...
- Seahenge taken out of the beach
- Seahenge is a Bronze Age circle of wooden posts, recently discovered by a local nature warden when the peat dune covering it was swept away in the Norfolk coast (England)....