November 2000 index:
14 November 2000
- Malta's Hal Saflieni Hypogeum opens to the public
- The island of Malta is only five miles wide, but its rich cultural heritage spans more than 7,000 years. Situated in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, it is home...
- Oldest lunar calendar identified
- What could be the oldest lunar calendar ever created has been identified on the walls of the famous, prehistoric caves at Lascaux in France. The interpretation that symbolic paintings, dating...
- Were the oldest cave painters Italians?
- What may be the world's oldest known cave paintings have been discovered in northern Italy. They are between 32,000 and 36,500 years old. Archaeologists have found tablets of stone showing...
- 4,000 year old settlement discovered in Kerry
- Archaeologists have discovered what could be the oldest house in Kerry (Ireland), probably more than 4,000 years old. Work on the new Tralee to Killarney N22 road has unearthed what...
- Rock carvings found by schoolchildren in Russia
- A group of children, led by local geologist Mikhail Karchevsky on an archaeological expedition over the summer, may have found evidence of a 4,000-year-old civilization that occupied three islands in...