If you think our news service is a valuable resource, please consider a donation. Select your currency and click the PayPal button:
| || |
March 2012 index:
5 March 2012
- Copper beads found inside an Indian megalithic site
- Recent excavations at a megalithic site near Ramakkalmedu in the Idukki district (India) brought to light a series of earthen burial urns (nannagadis). The excavation team led by T. Rajesh...
- Oetzi's DNA reveals health risks and relations
- The world's most famous frozen corpse has had his genome sequenced. An international team has recently published the almost complete DNA sequence of 5,300-year-old Oetzi the Tyrolean Iceman - discovered...
- Hand axes may have been first commodity
- Hand axes could have served as the first commodity by ancient humans thanks to their durability and utility. The axes may have been traded between human groups and would have...
7 March 2012
- Ancient Greek cave speaks of Hades myth
- Overlooking a quiet Greek bay far from Athens, Alepotrypa Cave contains the remains of a Stone Age village, burials, a lake and an amphitheater-sized final chamber in which blazing rituals...
- America discovered by Stone Age Europeans
- New archaeological evidence suggests that America was first discovered by Stone Age people from Europe, 10,000 years before the Siberian ancestors of the American Indians set foot in the New...
8 March 2012
- Neanderthals were ancient mariners
- Growing evidence suggests Neanderthals criss-crossed the Mediterranean from 100,000 years ago. Neanderthals lived around the Mediterranean from 300,000 years ago. Their distinctive 'Mousterian' stone tools are found on the Greek...
- Bronze Age site in England invites the public to dig
- Renowned Bronze Age archaeological site Flag Fen in Cambridgeshire (England) will host a first-of-its-kind dig combining both 'crowd-funding' and 'crowd-sourcing'; for contributions starting at GBP 125, donors can get their...
9 March 2012
- 3,000-year-old logboat goes on show
- A Bronze Age logboat, rescued from the River Tay (Scotland) 6 years ago, is about to go on show to the public. Originally identified over 11 years ago, the 'Carpow'...
- Evidence of early human activity in Ohio
- A combined team of researchers from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the National Park Service and the University of Manitoba (USA) have been examining the bones of an early...
16 March 2012
- Worsley Man: hospital scanner probes Iron Age bog death
- Archaeologists have solved a 1900-year-old mystery using a medical CT scanner to image the head of an Iron Age murder victim. The preserved head of the second century CE Briton...
- Stone Age 'cartoons' discovered in Russia
- Knowing there were rock carvings on some islands in remote Lake Kanozero, Russia, Jan Magne Gjerde, project manager at the Tromso University Museum, Norway, went there to document them as...
17 March 2012
- Artefacts show sophistication of ancient nomads
- Ancient Greeks called them 'nomad', meaning 'roaming for pasture' - people who lived on the wild, arid Eurasian steppes stretching from the Black Sea to the border of China. They...
- Megalithic Indian burial complex unearthed
- Researchers from the Deccan College Post-Graduate and Research Institute, Pune, recently excavated four megalithic tombs at Hirapur in Chandrapur district. Artefacts discovered suggest these tombs, dating between the 3rd and...
22 March 2012
- Race to record ancient rock art in Texas
- In the limestone caves of Texas (USA), on the shores of the Rio Grande, a race is on to save ancient cave paintings from further environmental damage. The rock art...
- Was graphic code a forerunner to writing?
- A recent study carried out by Genevieve von Petzinger and anthropology professor April Nowell (both of the University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada) has raised doubt over the age of...
- New human species or isolated tribe?
- A debate has begun over the discovery, in south west China, of the bones of what could possibly be a new human species. The fossilised skeletons and skulls have been...
|HOME • SHOP • TOURS • PREHISTORAMA • FORUMS • GLOSSARY • MEGALINKS • FEEDBACK • FAQ • ABOUT US
||TOP OF PAGE ^^^|