If you think our news service is a valuable resource, please consider a donation. Select your currency and click the PayPal button:
| || |
November 2017 index:
4 November 2017
- Early Neolithic house unearthed on Sanday
- The excavation at Cata Sand on the Orkney island of Sanday (Scotland) has unearthed a few surprises - including the discovery of an Early Neolithic house. Archaeologists from the University...
- 19 Neolithic tombs discovered at China-Russia border
- Archaeologists have discovered 19 Neolithic tombs and unearthed more than 400 prehistoric items in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province. Most of the items, consisting of jadeware, stoneware and pottery, date back...
- Mysterious stone tools unearthed at Welsh Bronze Age site
- Amateur archaeologists excavating a Bronze Age site in Wales have discovered a cache of unusual stone tools unlike any that have been found before. The tools appear to have been...
- Europe's Stone Age fishers used beeswax to make a point
- Late Stone Age people got a grip thanks to honeybees. Northern Europeans attached a barbed bone point to a handle of some kind with a beeswax adhesive around 13,000 years...
- Massive 5,000-year-old structure unearthed in Lincolnshire
- Archaeologists from Network Archaeology Ltd have teamed up with Lincolnshire Live to reveal more about the artefacts from a dig along the route of Lincoln's Eastern Bypass (England). "We are...
- 400 ancient stone structures discovered in Saudi Arabia
- Almost 400 mysterious stone structures dating back thousands of years have been discovered in Saudi Arabia, with a few of these wall-like formations draping across old lava domes, archaeologists report....
7 November 2017
- 11,500-year-old settlement unearthed in Turkey
- Am 11,500-year-old settlement from the beginning of the Neolithic era with features similar to Göbekli Tepe has been unearthed in the fifth stage of archaeology digs at the ancient town...
- Late Neolithic burials in Spain reveal surprising differences
- Analysis of megalithic graves and caves in Spain suggest different lifeways for people buried in different types of funerary sites. Previous research on the burial practices of the Western European...
- 10,000-year-old petroglyph found in Norway
- Analysis of a petroglyph discovered by retired geologist Ingvar Lindahl at Efjorden in the Nordland county of Norway has estimated the petroglyph, which depicts a boat, to be between 10,000...
- Ancient inscription tells of Trojan prince, Sea people
- A 3,200-year-old inscription in an ancient language called Luwian has been deciphered. The stone inscription, which was 29 metres long, describes the rise of a powerful kingdom which launched a...
8 November 2017
- Prehistoric cave paintings discovered in Spain
- With a temperate climate and abundance of wild animals, the region of Cantabria in northern Spain was a good place to live during glacial periods, and has some of the...
- Bronze Axe found north of the Alps
- The shape and material of a copper axe blade found in 2008 at Riedmatt, Switzerland, are practically identical to those used by Neolithic peoples further south - including Oetzi, the...
- Artefact suggests long-distance exchange between Mesolithic communities
- An ornamented 'pierced baton' recently found in Central Poland may provide evidence of exchange between Mesolithic communities, according to a study by Grzegorz Osipowicz from Nicolaus Copernicus University, Poland, and...
- 40,000-year-old man reveals genetic history of Asia
- The archaeological record in China shows a rich history for early modern humans. Though several ancient humans have been sequenced in Europe and Siberia, few have been sequenced from East...
11 November 2017
- Neolithic rock carvings on a capstone in Cornwall
- An innovative use of 3D laser scanning has uncovered previously unidentified carvings in a quoit capstone in Cornwall (England) which could well rival and surpass the scale of similar carvings...
- Could ancient farmers hold the secret to improved world rice crops?
- Approximately 4,000 years ago farmers in South America - the Monte Castelo and Guapore River areas of Brazil to be more precise - worked out how to domesticate and increase...
- Late Neolithic giant farmhouse uncovered in Denmark
- A new town is being built at a place called Vinge in north Zeland, Denmark. Under common legislation for most European countries, archaeologists are allowed to excavate and research all...
- Can Polish group save an important Neolithic site?
- A battle is ongoing in eastern Poland to save a very important range of Neolithic structures from total destruction. The range of Gory tombs in question (named after the rural...
- Skull could be from the world's earliest known tsunami victim
- Scientists studying the effects of tsunamis - giant waves, caused by earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and underwater landslides - have now shed light on what could be the earliest record of...
15 November 2017
- 5,000-year-old fortress discovered in central Turkey
- Archeologists uncovered an approximately 5,000-year-old settlement and fortress in central Turkey's Nevşehir province, in the region known as Cappadocia. The site, which dates to the Early Bronze Age, was discovered...
- Volunteers discover Bronze Age settlement in Lake District
- Archaeologists looking for Viking remains have found artefacts that are 2,000 years older. The dig at Longhouse Close on fells above Seathwaite, Cumbria (England), was excavating Norse longhouses, dating from...
16 November 2017
- 'Stones of interest' found on Jersey
- Five stones which could date back to the island's Neolithic past were discovered by a team from the Museum of London Archaeological Services investigating fields in St.Clement. The survey was...
- 5,500-year-old cemetery excavated in China
- Archaeologists are currently excavating a 5,500-year-old cemetery in Shaanxi Province, north-central China, which is estimated to have more than 2,000 graves. Covering around 90,000 square metres, the cemetery lies to...
|HOME • SHOP • TOURS • PREHISTORAMA • FORUMS • GLOSSARY • MEGALINKS • FEEDBACK • FAQ • ABOUT US
||TOP OF PAGE ^^^|