January 2003 index:
13 January 2003
- First Stone Age flints found in Abu Dhabi
- Archaeological excavations near Abu Dhabi International Airport (United Arab Emirates) have yielded new information on human habitation at the site during the Late Stone Age or Neolithic period 8,000 to...
- Found traces of an ancient Native American civilization
- High above the banks of the Assabet River, in the southernmost tip of Acton (Massachusetts, U.S.A.), archaeologists have found traces of an ancient Native American civilization that dates back as...
- 9,000-year-old tools uncovered in Northern Ireland
- Hunting tools believed to be 9,000 years old have been uncovered during a road development near Toome Bypass (County Antrim, Northern Ireland). The finds are the most significant discovery in...
- Cattle make way for ancient rock carvings
- Cattle have trampled for the last time on one of the finest prehistoric "art galleries" in Britain, thanks to a stewardship deal organised by the local farmer. Duncan Ord, whose...
- Bronze Age ring cairn found in Yorkshire
- The discovery of a Bronze Age ring cairn and other items of historical importance at a site near Kettlewell, follows two years' work by Dr Roger Martlew and a group...
- The oldest burial object?
- They have called it Excalibur, though it was plucked from a pit of bones rather than the stone of Arthurian legend. To the ordinary eye it is a hand-sized, triangular...
- Stonehenge tunnel approved
- Plans for a tunnel through hills near Stonehenge in Wiltshire have been approved. The 1.3-mile tunnel to upgrade the A303 past the famous ring of stones will cost £183m and...