If you think our news service is a valuable resource, please consider a donation. Select your currency and click the PayPal button:
| || |
January 2018 index:
1 January 2018
- Painted stone gives clues to ancient Japanese culture
- A piece of painted stone depicting part of a human face has been found at Kikonai, Hokkaido. Dating from the Jomon Pottery Culture, circa 8000 BCE to 300 BCE, the...
- 4,000-year-old military network found in northern Syria
- Recent analysis of aerial and satellite images has enabled the discovery of more than a thousand sites in Syria, representing a vast structured surveillance and communication network dating from the...
- Earliest copper alloys chosen for their appearance
- Ancient gold metallurgy and the colour characteristics of gold alloys are well researched, but the same has not previously been true for the most abundant type of metal artefacts in...
- Site chosen for replica Iron Age broch in Caithness
- A site has been chosen in Caithness (Scotland) for a planned reconstruction of an Iron Age broch. The stone-built roundhouses were some of Scotland's oldest and most formidable structures and...
3 January 2018
- 7,000-year-old structure found in western Iran
- Threatened with destruction after construction of a dam across the Jamishan river, the Nadali Beig mound in Kermanshah Province, northwestern Iran, about 400 kilometres west-southwest of Tehran, is a focus...
6 January 2018
- Henge discovered in England could have been an ancient sauna
- Archaeologists unearthed traces of a henge in East Yorkshire (England), which is the first of its kind to be found in the region. The remains at the site at the...
- Ancient Kerry fort closed after storm damage
- Dunbeg fort dates back around 2,500 years, and houses a circular beehive hut with a square interior. Located on the Dingle Peninsula in Kerry (Ireland), this site is now closed...
- Cave in China filled with 45,000-year-old stone tools
- Archaeologists have recovered thousands of artifacts from a cave in Xinjiang (an autonomous region of northern China) including stone tools, bronze and iron artifacts and animal fossils. Some date as...
7 January 2018
- Standing stones erected in a Scottish roundabout
- In an apparent cost-cutting measure which may reflect prehistoric practices, six standing stones have been erected in the middle of a busy roundabout in the centre of Ayr, Scotland -...
- Stone Age remains in Essex threatened by development
- Important remains could be destroyed if a housing estate is built on a protected archaeological site in Lawford, about 100 kilometres northeast of London. At a recent parish council meeting...
- Hundreds of knapped flint hand-axes discovered in Israel
- Israeli archaeologists have uncovered next to one of the country's busiest roads the site of an extraordinarily well preserved prehistoric 'paradise' used by Stone age hunter-gatherers over half a million...
12 January 2018
- Unique winter solstice experience in Ireland
- There is a World Heritage Site, at Newgrange, in the Boyne Valley in the East of the Republic of Ireland which is the location of a world famous Stone Age...
- Jersey joins Europe's Cultural Route programme
- In 1987 the Council of Europe launched a Cultural Routes programme to show how the heritage of different countries and cultures within Europe had contributed to a shared and living...
- Omani links with Pakistan date back over 4000 years
- The Sultanate of Oman is an independent state on the South Eastern edge of the Arabian Peninsula. Its location at the junction of the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean...
14 January 2018
- A supernova drawn 6,000 years ago in Kashmir?
- A team of astrophysicists and archaeologists from the Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) in India have come across what they think is the earliest human depiction of a supernova. Their...
- New evidence of dispersal of early modern humans out of Africa
- Finds from caves in the Levant, particularly the Skhul and Qafzeh caves in northern Israel, have often been cited as evidence to support the theory that early modern humans left...
- Signs of massive human migration to the Americas
- The 11,500-year-old skeleton of a 6-week-old girl found buried on a bed of antler points and red ocher offers genetic clues to how people arrived in the Americas. Discovered in...
- Images of prehistoric silk road reveal lost irrigation network
- An ancient irrigation system in northwestern China explains how the region's herding communities were able grow crops in one of the driest climates anywhere in the world - the foothills...
- Neolithic girl's face unveiled in Greece
- A reconstruction of the head and face of an 18-year-old girl who lived 7,000 years ago in the Mesolithic era will make its public debut on the 19th of January....
15 January 2018
- Bronze Age mounds at risk in the North York Moors park
- Burial mounds dating back thousands of years are at risk from hikers erecting stone cairns to mark routes across the North York Moors National Park, about 400 kilometres north-northwest of...
- Ice Age artefacts found in northern England
- Volunteers in the small town of Thornton-le-Street, about 300 kilometres north-northwest of London, have found more than 2,500 artefacts - many dating from the last Ice Age. Another major dig...
21 January 2018
- Norwegian houses reused for over 1000 years during Stone Age
- We've always heard that Stone Age people lived in caves. It turns out that they often lived in earthen huts, which they reused for centuries and kept up rather than...
- 11,000-year-old baby tomb found in China
- Archaeologists in southwest China's Guizhou Province have confirmed a tomb dating back 11,000 year contains the remains of a toddler. The tomb is located in a cave in Yankong Village,...
- Neolithic ritual cave site discovered in Mayo
- A cave-like chamber discovered by a hill walker in north west Mayo (Ireland) has been confirmed as a Neolithic site used in highly complex burial practices over 5,000 years ago....
|HOME • SHOP • TOURS • PREHISTORAMA • FORUMS • GLOSSARY • MEGALINKS • FEEDBACK • FAQ • ABOUT US
||TOP OF PAGE ^^^|